How to process tomatoes with a Bordeaux mixture and how to properly prepare a solution
There are many different remedies for tomato diseases. Bordeaux mixture, which has not lost its healing qualities for more than 100 years, is particularly effective. An article about the nuances of its preparation and application.
What is Bordeaux mixture
Bordeaux mixture is a very effective tool that is used to treat and prevent various diseases in plants. What is Bordeaux mixture and where is it used?
Bordeaux mixture has in its composition only two elements:
- copper sulfate. It is often used separately from pests. Copper in the substance stimulates growth and stabilizes the process of photosynthesis;
Did you know? The Bordeaux mixture was accidentally created in France in the second half of the 19th century. in Bordeaux County. At first it was used to spray vineyard from rot. With its miraculous effect on plants, it struck everyone. Therefore, the mixture quickly became popular around the world.
- lime. This is a substance that is formed from the processing of chalk. It consists mostly of limestone, dolomite and calcite. Other mineral elements are in very small quantities. Lime is used separately for whitewashing of tree trunks, because it does not dissolve in water and forms a milky solution.
Scope of application
Bordeaux mixture can be sprayed with fruit trees, bushes, potatoes, watermelons, beets, onions and so on. It protects plants from curls, stains on leaves, powdery mildew, rot and other dangerous diseases.
This tool is very useful for the treatment of tomatoes from late blight and for its prevention, as well as other fungal infections. Tomatoes can be processed both in the garden and in the greenhouse.
Advantages and disadvantages
- The use of Bordeaux mixture on tomatoes has a positive effect:
- very effective compared to others;
- struggling with a whole range of diseases;
- all constituent elements are freely available in agricultural stores;
- the effect of one spraying does not stop for more than 14 days;
- does not harm insects that pollinate tomatoes;
- Remains on the plant after rains.
- The disadvantages of this tool include:
- strict observance of proportions so as not to harm the plant;
- the accumulation of copper in the earth, if you process tomatoes many times (and this adversely affects their growth);
- the inability to use Bordeaux mixture with other drugs;
- the need to perform all precautions when working with it, the drug is dangerous to humans;
- fruit falling if the drug is used improperly.
That's when you can process tomatoes with this drug:
- It is recommended to spray tomatoes 4 times per season.
- The last time they are sprayed 2 weeks before the start of the harvest.
- If seedlings are sick, treat them 14 days before planting in open soil.
- You can not process plants when they actively bloom and form ovaries.
- The interval between tomato processing should be at least 10 days.
Preparation of Bordeaux tomato spray mixture
Further on how to properly prepare the mixture for spraying.
Components and Proportions
You will need:
- copper sulfate;
- slaked lime.
- two non-metallic containers;
- kitchen scales;
- stick for stirring;
In agricultural stores you can buy a ready-made mixture, which before preparation should only be diluted with water according to the instructions. But it is best to prepare the solution yourself.Tomatoes are treated with 0.75% and 1% solution, and 3% mixture is used to treat fruit trees.
|Percentage Consistency||Ingredients and their amount per 10 l of water|
|0,75%||100 g of vitriol and 75 g of lime|
|1%||100 g of vitriol and 150 g of lime|
|3%||300 g of vitriol, 400 g of lime|
Important! For 10 square meters. m count 2 l of solution.
- In a non-metallic container, dissolve copper sulfate in 2 liters of hot water.
- Take 3 liters of cold water, fill it with a solution.
- Separately mix quicklime in 1 liter of water until a thick sour cream is formed (upon contact with water, the substance becomes slaked).
- Pour the solution into 4 liters of cold water.
- Take the cheesecloth, fold it in half, four times and strain the mortar through it so that it does not clog the apparatus for processing plants;
- Pour vitrious solution into lime (and not vice versa!), Stirring constantly.
Video: How to make Bordeaux mixture
Important! If you increase the amount of one of the ingredients, you can harm the plants. Improper concentration of chemicals can cause burns on the leaves.
How to check the quality
To check whether the solution turned out to be of high quality, put any object made of metal into it. For example, take a nail. If the nail turns red when it comes into contact with the solution, add a little more lime mass. If its color does not change, the solution is ready for use.
How to properly process tomatoes with Bordeaux liquid
Tomatoes are sprayed with liquid using a spray gun.
Important! Do not process tomatoes in rainy or windy weather. In the first case, the product will be washed off, and in the second, under the influence of the wind, it will not fall on the tomatoes, but on other plants that are nearby.
It is impossible to use the drug for an adult plant from mature fruits, so that they do not fall. It is also forbidden to use the solution during flowering and the formation of ovaries.
Immediately before and after the procedure, it is undesirable to water the tomatoes. With an increased level of humidity, the Bordeaux mixture causes burns on tomato leaves.
When can I eat tomatoes after processing
The question often arises whether it is possible to eat fruits immediately after spraying. The answer is obvious. Bordeaux mixture is very toxic to the human body. Processed tomatoes can not be picked and eaten for 8 days. Later ripened fruits can be picked. Wash them thoroughly under running water before eating.
Before working with the described tool and during it, follow these recommendations:
- pick up all the red tomatoes before spraying;
- in order to avoid late blight of tomatoes, do not plant them for several years in a row on the same bed. If this year tomatoes grow on a certain site, the next year you need to plant some other crop there, best from another family. And all because the causative agent of late blight has the ability to accumulate in the soil;
- for the first time, tomato processing is best done using a 0.75% solution. Subsequent spraying do already 1% mixture;
- Do not use metal or plastic containers to prepare the mixture.
Video: Processing tomatoes with a Bordeaux mixture
Safety at work
When working with the drug, observe the following precautions:
- put gloves on your hands and a gauze bandage on your face. You can wear glasses;
- Do not eat or drink during direct contact with the mixture;
- after spraying the tomatoes, wash your hands and face with warm water with an antibacterial soap;
- make sure that there are no children or animals nearby when in contact with the product described.
Important! If the solution gets into the eyes, they are very irritated and itchy. Once in the respiratory tract, the drug causes cough, chills, and muscle weakness.Urgently need to call an ambulance. If the solution gets on the skin, wash it thoroughly. When ingesting food, the stomach is washed with plenty of water and activated charcoal is taken.