How to get rid of midges on tomatoes using chemical and folk remedies
Despite the fact that tomatoes are loved by many, not everyone knows that these are extremely picky plants. They are susceptible to many diseases and insect pests. In our article, we will talk about midges, which can even deprive you of the crop.
What midges can harm tomatoes
Anyone who has ever been to a garden knows that a huge number of different insects live there, but not all of them are safe for plants. Consider what kind of midges can be found on tomatoes both in open land and in a greenhouse, and what harm they can cause to a future crop.
Another name for this pest is the soil fly. It grows to 4 mm. Propagated in moist soil, where organic fertilizers were applied. Larvae live in the upper soil layer; after pupation, they cause great harm by eating the roots of nearby plants. A large number of pests leads to inhibition of plants, their lag in growth and lack of fruits. Adult butterflies damage the growth point on the stems of tomatoes.
They are small whitefly butterflies. Their body grows to 3 mm. White dust is present on the wings. Larvae are laid on the inside of plant leaves. Due to life on stems and leaves, they are saturated with nutrients throughout their life. After this, the leaves of the plants are damaged and blacken. The same thing happens with the fruits. Even lowering the temperature does not lead to the death of pests. They winter in the upper layer of soil.
Why white midges appear on tomatoes
We offer you to get acquainted with the most obvious reasons for the appearance of midges:
- lack of wind, at high humidity and temperature;
- high planting density;
- introduction of infected fertilizers (manure);
- planting seedlings that are already affected by pests.
Did you know? Pests live for about 25 days, on the basis of this, several generations manage to be born during the warm season.
Signs of occurrence
Detecting the appearance of midges on tomatoes is quite simple. The first thing that indicates the presence of this problem is small white butterflies that fly close. In addition, the affected plants have other signs:
- the leaves become curled and dry with a white coating;
- the stem and other green parts of the plant turn yellow;
- plants can reduce productivity or even lose this ability;
- the fruits ripen unevenly;
- visible ant paths (ants feed on the waste products of midges).
Harm from midges
Small midges can cause such damage to plants:
- death of the bush as a result of the suction of juices;
- damaged fruits and twisted leaves.
Important! Lack of control against midges can lead to the death of plants. That is why you should not put off using the necessary funds to get rid of pests.
How to deal with tomato midges
There are several ways to deal with harmful insects:
Consider all the methods of treating tomatoes in more detail.
Garden insecticides provide an opportunity for a short period of time to get rid of parasites on the site. However, it is important to consider that their composition includes substances hazardous to humans. The use of any chemistry implies the exact following of the instructions.In addition, before work it is important to take care of personal safety, namely: wear rubber gloves, safety glasses and a respirator. Consider how to spray tomatoes in the case of midges.
Important! It is best to use universal drugs that will help solve all problems at once.
Today, the following insecticides are considered the most effective:
- «Decis forte"And"Decis pro". Packaged in bags. Usually one is enough to process 2 acres, it all depends on the density of planting. The contents are dissolved in a bucket of water and the affected plants are treated with the resulting solution. Such manipulations are recommended only after sunset.
- «Inta Vir". It is a universal insecticide, since with its help you can get rid of a huge number of insect pests. Prepare the solution as follows: 1 tablet is dissolved in 5 l of water. This amount can handle 30 square meters. m beds. This should be done when the plants are in the growing season.
- «Bioreid". It is a natural remedy, since plant substances are present in its composition. The drug in an amount of 5 ml is diluted in 2.5 liters of water. Spraying is carried out during the growing season with an interval of 10 days. On average, just spray the solution 3 times.
- «Actofit". A new generation tool, has become popular among gardeners due to the speed of action and safety for others. The ampoule is diluted in a bucket of water and treated with a solution of the plant. Doing this is allowed at any stage of growth. Last use is carried out 2 days before harvesting.
With the help of folk remedies
Knowing how to get rid of insects with chemicals, you need to know more gentle methods of control. In addition to chemicals, you can get good results with home recipes. However, in this case, do not forget that there are recipes that are strictly forbidden to use during fruiting, as this can negatively affect the health of a person who has eaten processed fruits.
The most popular recipes include the following:
- Soap solution. For him, take a bucket of water and 1 laundry soap, which is rubbed on a grater and dissolved in a liquid. You can add 250 g of ash for greater effect, which is boiled in 1 liter of water for 20 minutes. You can do this procedure in the evening and only in calm weather.
- Tomato Tops. Poison for small insects is prepared as follows: 1 kg of green tops is boiled in 2 liters of water for half an hour. The broth before application to plants is diluted in water in a ratio of 1: 5.
- Tobacco decoction. Shavings of shag in the amount of 500 g are poured into 100 ml of water and boiled over low heat for half an hour. The resulting and cooled solution is sprayed with damaged plants.
Knowing what to do with midges with the help of chemicals and folk remedies, we suggest learning about another method of control. The mechanical method is the easiest and most affordable, as it does not require additional funds and cash costs. However, it will be effective only when the aphids on the bushes live in small numbers.
Did you know? Growing tomatoes occupies the palm in the world. Each year, they collect up to 177 million tons. Most of them are grown in China, this figure is 30% of the world.
Pests are simply crushed by fingers when inspecting plants. At the end, the bushes are poured with a strong stream of water to remove all insects completely. However, it is important to understand that this will not protect the tomatoes from the attacks of other pests.
In order not to lose the future crop, you need to know how to prevent the appearance of pests:
- plant onions, garlic, calendula and other fragrant herbs near tomatoes;
- clean weeds regularly, as their shoots attract pests.