Compound feed for quail: composition, feeding standards, do-it-yourself recipe
In the cultivation of quail, their diet occupies an important position. Compound feed is its basis. This article will help to understand the issue of quail mixtures.
Compound feed in the diet of quail
Quail can quickly and correctly gain weight only with proper nutrition, in which all the necessary vitamins and minerals are balanced. You can buy compound feed, but you can use homemade. Which one is better is up to you. Self-made food will be cheaper, and you will know exactly the composition and proportions. Buying feed in the store, you save time. In addition, purchased feeds often include vitamins and nutrients that farmers do not have.
Did you know? Wild quail independently migrated from the African continent to England and back.
- The main advantages of using the mixture when feeding quails are:
- ease of use;
- a wide selection of types of mash, which allows you to choose a mixture for poultry of any age;
- universality (you can feed other types of birds).
- Among the shortcomings can be identified:
- for the preparation of a complete diet, the use of several types of feed;
- purchased food is not cheap.
The composition of the feed
The composition and proportions of different mixtures vary. Below is a universal composition of food for laying hens:
|The product's name||Percentage Blend|
|Protein-mineral vitamin supplement||9,74%|
Consumption per day and feed consumption
The daily rate of feed consumption depends on the age of the quail. Data on how much is an expense per individual during its life is presented in the table:
|Bird age (weeks)||Daily rate (g)||Consumption (g / individual)|
|Up to 3 weeks||4-13 g||0,176|
|4 to 6 weeks||14-16 g||0,315|
|5 to 6 weeks||16-17 g||0,224|
|From 7 weeks||22-30 g||8,375|
The best manufacturers of feed
There are several manufacturers of feed. Most often, the mixture is released in a volume of 25 kg.
LLC KormoResurs (KBR):
- produce high-quality mixtures without harmful additives;
- has a large selection of products;
- guarantees quality;
- has reasonable prices;
- they use modern equipment in their production.
Producer "Purina" creates different types of food depending on the type, age and purpose of breeding birds. But regardless of the purpose of the mixture, the manufacturer “Purina” differ from other feeds in such characteristics:
- it contains exclusively natural components, there are no hormones and growth stimulants;
- has a completely balanced composition;
- allows you to save, because the expense is small;
- when using it, there is no need to use other additives;
- helps the digestive system and strengthens the immune system due to its high content of vitamins, minerals and other beneficial supplements.
Another producer of high-quality feed is the Bogatey company. Features of the feed from this manufacturer are:
- provide a balanced diet during the active growth of chicks;
- contribute to high egg production and quail productivity;
- contain all the nutrients necessary for a complete feeding.
Marx feed also occupies a leading position and has several advantages:
- balanced in amino acid composition, minerals and vitamins;
- made of high quality components;
- laboratory tests for toxicity were performed on it;
- is an environmentally friendly product;
- feed successfully passed all the necessary tests;
- availability of quality certificates.
DIY compound feed recipe
You can make a stirrer yourself. For adults and young birds mixed feed should be different.
Video: DIY quail food
For adult quail
The components of the mixture and their proportions are described below. The composition of the feed is simple, based on finely divided cereals. The ingredients are:
- 3 kg of corn tart;
- 6 kg of wheat tart;
- 6 kg of roasted ground macaw;
- 2 tablespoons of rock salt crushed into powder;
- 300 g of premix DK-52;
- 1.2 kg of meat and bone meal;
- 1.2 kg of premix calcium-phosphorus;
- 400 g of fishmeal;
- 400 g of feed yeast;
- 150 g of soybean meal.
Its preparation does not require much effort:
- grind the salt into powder using a coffee grinder, and meat and bone meal in a blender;
- pour all the ingredients in one large container;
- mix thoroughly.
For diurnal quail, the only food option is a boiled egg with a very finely divided shell.
Important! From 1 day of life, the use of dry food is prohibited.
For chicks from a week, the so-called starting feed is used. To make it you will need:
- 200 g of wheat;
- 200 g of corn;
- 50 g of oats;
- 200 g of barley;
- 200 g premix;
- 20 g of feed chalk;
- 20g shells;
- 140 g meat and bone meal;
- 70g of sunflower meal;
- 19 ml of sunflower oil;
- 1 g of salt.
Instructions for the preparation of feed for quail:
- grind all components to a powder state;
- add all the ingredients in the order indicated in the composition;
- mix thoroughly.
What can feed quail except feed
Compound feed should be the main part of the diet of quail, but they should not feed birds. In addition to dry mixes, you can also use:
- to dream;
- sprouted oats;
- wood lice;
Important! Quailing should not be given too much fruit or vegetables. Otherwise, they will stop rushing (or the eggs will be small).
How much quail food can be stored
Directly in the bird feeder, it can lie for no more than 2 hours, after which it begins to sour. Having eaten sour feed, quail can be poisoned. The shelf life of the feed depends on the manufacturer, it is always indicated on the package. The storage term varies (from 1 to 3 months). Keep it in a dry, well-ventilated area, avoiding direct sunlight.
Is it possible to feed quail food for laying hens
Feeding quails with compound feed for laying hens is possible. The vitamins and minerals that are needed for laying hens are very similar to those that are needed for quail. In addition, the composition of the feed is very similar. You can replace these types of feed, but it is still better to use each of them for its intended purpose. Quails are unpretentious birds, but it is very important to monitor their proper nutrition and use quality feed.