The rabbit eats rabbits what to do
Rabbits are very prolific, and in one litter there can be up to eight or more babies. Female rabbits have a well-developed maternal instinct and take great care of their offspring. Sometimes there are times when the rabbit for some reason eats its cubs. What is the reason, and what to do in such cases? The article will help to understand this issue.
Reasons for eating
First you need to find out what can affect this.
Did you know? The structure of the reproductive organs of the female in rabbits is unique - she can carry two litters at the same time, conceived from two males with whom they mated.
At this point, eating rabbits happens most often, and here's why:
- Lack of fluid in the mother's body. The female loses a lot of moisture during the rounding, therefore, if the owner has not provided her with enough water to replenish the balance, then there may be sad consequences.
- The inexperience of the female. Sometimes a young “mommy” gnaws babies out of inexperience when she bites off an umbilical cord or tries to remove an amniotic fluid.
- Stillbirth. In the case of the birth of dead cubs, the rabbit can eat them so that the predators do not smell.
On day 2 or 3
If the babies are disposed of 2 or 3 days after the okrol, then the reasons may be as follows:
- Lack of milk or problems with nipples. Under such circumstances, the female simply gets rid of the extra cubs, believing that she will not be able to feed everyone.
- Great fear. Everyone knows how fearful rabbits are. Frightened, the female can inadvertently crush her rabbits, and then "recycle", that is, eat.
In a week
And at such times the rabbit eats part of his offspring.
There are several reasons:
- Lack of vitamins and minerals in the mother's body (due to malnutrition). The rabbit is thus trying to replenish its reserves.
- Strong sexual hunt. Soon after the okrol, the female begins to show an irresistible sex drive. She kills the cubs and then just gets rid of them.
What to do if you have already eaten
The very fact of eating rabbits is very sad and always worries the owners, but you should not panic. Having dealt with the reasons and drawing the appropriate conclusions (elimination of deficiencies in the diet and drinking, in the arrangement of the home), the problem is usually solved.
Some rabbit breeders believe that a female who eats her newborn rabbits is subject to culling. But if this happened for the first time, then you should not be so categorical. It’s just worth noting to watch her.
If eating offspring will be repeated after the second or third pregnancy, and you will not find obvious reasons for this, then the conclusion is unequivocal - culling.
How to prevent eating in the future
Most of the above reasons why the rabbit eats its offspring can be avoided if you pay increased attention and care to those females that have been seen for such an action.
Important! Little rabbits must be picked up very carefully, because the appearance of an odor in babies can lead to unpleasant consequences. If you still need to pick up the newborns, then rub them with maternal fluff or wormwood.
Use the following methods:
- keep under constant control the presence of water in the cage where the pregnant female is (especially in the last days before birth and after), the water should change regularly;
- provide the rabbit with a good balanced diet, which will fully provide her with vital substances (and even when she is feeding the babies);
- observe the female’s state of health after a bout, pay special attention to the nipples;
- if the birth is soon, and the nest is not yet equipped, then you need to help the rabbit to do this (you can even pluck the fluff yourself).
Can a rabbit eat a monthly rabbit?
Sometimes novice rabbit breeders, not finding any of the offspring in the nest, claim that the female ate a rabbit who was one month old. Such a situation, according to experts, is simply impossible. The reason for the absence of babies on the spot lies in a completely different.
Take a good look around the room where the cages with young animals stand, because rabbits at the age of four weeks already show enviable mobility and curiosity.
Another reason is the visit of a rat, cat or other predator who loves to feast on rabbit meat. Be careful not to damage anyone in your household.
Did you know? If rabbits had the opportunity to breed completely freely, then in ninety years there would be as many as there are square meters on our planet.
So, in most cases, the rabbit eating its newborn children is to blame for the inattentive owners who incorrectly care for the animals. If you want to succeed in breeding rabbits, do not allow the emergence of those reasons that can lead to cannibalism. Now you know why this happens and how to deal with it.