Goose breeding as a business: profitability and profitability, tips for beginners
Farming has been gaining momentum lately. Especially relevant is a virtually waste-free business, which includes goose breeding. Let us consider this production in more detail and how to organize everything correctly in order to minimize possible costs and maximize profits.
Breeding geese as a business: profitable or not?
For many years, geese have been a symbol of wealth. Many are interested in whether it is possible to earn on farming and how much time it may take to get the first net profit. Nowadays, breeding of these birds on a farm scale is a rather profitable business, which has several directions.
Did you know? Most bird bones are hollow inside. This significantly reduces weight and helps in flight.
Benefits and profits
- Today, most poultry farmers decide to breed geese for the business. The advantages of this case are:
- the possibility of increasing the size of the farm and services;
- ease of maintenance;
- profit from a large number of products;
- minimum start;
- fast enough net profit.
Important! A well-designed business can recoup all the costs of an average farm after a year. Large houses will require other costs and its payback time will be increased.
This is due to the fact that these birds are bred not only for meat, but also for income from other products:
- Goose liver. It is popular among restaurants due to the fact that such a delicacy as foie gras is prepared from it.
- The eggs. Today, many people like to use this product.
- Feather and fluff. Used in the manufacture of pillows and blankets.
- Young growth. Good income can be obtained from its sale.
- Litter. The production is so non-waste that even the waste products of birds can be sold in the form of fertilizers.
Disadvantages and costs
- Each case has another side - the negative. Geese breeding also has disadvantages:
- there is a probability of death of the herd;
- products may not be in demand in a certain region;
- business organized in the country.
In addition to income, any business has costs. Consider the breeding of geese:
- acquisition of a farm site for up to 150 birds with an area of at least 1 ha;
- official paperwork and entrepreneurship;
- good quality grain will also require cash investments; it is better to buy it from official sellers in order to be completely sure of quality;
- the herd purchase must also be carried out from certified sellers;
- birds are recommended to be vaccinated 2 times a year. You need to have money for these procedures.
Basics of Successful Goose Breeding
To get maximum profit and minimize costs, it is important to know the basics of proper breeding of geese:
- Careful preparation, namely the determination of the initial number of livestock, the construction of the premises and the preliminary purchase of feed.
- Communicating with experienced farmers will help answer your questions.
- Only then can you buy young animals. It is important to choose the right breed, success depends on it.
- When forming pairs, you should not mix birds that have family ties. Since their offspring will gain weight less, and at the same time other qualities of the breed will deteriorate.
- An adult male is used for posterity not more than 10 years. On average, 4 females per one drake.
- Every year it is necessary to replenish the herd with young individuals, their number should be approximately 25% of the total.
Drawing up a business plan with calculations
One of the main components of planning any business is a business plan, which presents the volumes of costs and profits. We offer you to familiarize yourself with a sample business plan, which represents the level of costs for the economy in which there are 1 thousand geese.Approximate annual costs include:
- a place for living and grazing (buying or renting) - 250 thousand rubles;
- construction repair and equipment acquisition - 170 thousand rubles;
- paperwork - 17 thousand rubles .;
- purchase of goslings - 200 thousand rubles;
- feed and operating costs - 700 thousand rubles.
Did you know? Geese are loyal companions. At the age of 3 years, they create a couple with whom they remain for life. Even after the death of one, the other spends several more years in sorrow and grief.
Based on this, it is not difficult to calculate the annual income of farms, in which there are 800 geese and 200 drakes. They accept for initial data that the female introduces 7 goslings throughout the year. When they reach commercial maturity, the income from the sale of 1 poultry meat will be on average 750 rubles, from the sale of the liver - 500 rubles, 1 kg of down - 20 rubles. Total annual profit will be about 1,500 thousand rubles. Taxes will slightly reduce this amount. You should also consider unforeseen expenses. On average, the payback period of a farm with a livestock of 1 thousand heads takes about 2 years.
Where to start breeding
To understand how to succeed in this business, it is important to understand where to start, and in what sequence.
When choosing a breed for breeding on farms, it is important to consider the following factors:
- in what climatic conditions will birds be raised;
- what is their productivity;
- level of resistance to various diseases;
- features of their feeding.
The place where the crawler will be built should be on a hill, while it is important to allocate a place under the pond and pasture. The best option for placing the facade is to the south. In this direction, it is important to build a paddock for winter walking.
The height of the foundation for protection against pests is at least 25 cm. A small trench is dug around the perimeter. Additionally, when pouring the foundation, it is recommended to add broken glass.
The frame for future walls is made of bars or metal corners. The walls are lined with boards, the thickness of which is not more than 30 cm. If the winters are severe in your place, they are additionally insulated. Inside, the decoration is carried out using plywood, and externally it is recommended to sheathe OSB.
The floors are only wooden, sprinkled with sawdust and wood shavings. It is better to arrange the windows on the south side. The roof is arranged with any material available.In addition, you need to purchase the following equipment for maintenance:
- vacuum drinkers;
- they should be enough so that the birds do not fight for food;
- it is better to choose wooden containers for food and hang them to a height of about 15 cm;
- for water they take buckets or other containers.
Bird nutrition should also not be deprived of attention. Feeding can be:
The feed base should include the following products:
- fish waste;
For breeding, you need to take into account that 1 adult goose eats about 2 kg of greens per day. When access to grass is not possible, the bird needs to be fed. The daily diet of 1 individual is approximately the following:
- root crops - 0.5 kg;
- carrots - 100 g;
- hay - 150 g;
- cereals - 70 g;
- mineral feed - 25 g.
Sales and distribution channels
Goose business brings good benefits, since after slaughter you can implement:
Potential clients may include:
- butcher shops and restaurants;
- egg shops;
- pillow and blanket manufacturers;
- private individuals;
- other farmers.
Important! After identifying potential customers, you need to start establishing contacts. It is important to interest potential customers in the benefits of working with you.
Calculation of income and profitability
A significant advantage of the initial spending is a quick payback. To achieve the optimum mass for slaughter (5 kg), the bird will need about 3 months. The optimal weight of 10 kg is obtained in 3.5 months. Almost all breeds have a high egg production rate, approximately 70 eggs per month. In addition, other products are in demand on the market.One carcass weighing 5 kg costs about 400 rubles. Heavier can bring income of 700 rubles. The average farm has about 1 thousand heads. Consequently, you can get an income of about 2 million. Knowing all the costs and revenues, you can calculate that the profitability of a goose business is up to 80%.
Useful Tips for Beginners
Despite the apparent simplicity, novice poultry farmers may encounter some difficulties. To minimize their appearance, you need to adhere to some recommendations:
- Before opening a farm, carefully study the conditions for keeping geese;
- First, select the most unpretentious and hardy breed for breeding;
- buy chicks only from trusted farmers;
- keep clean indoors;
- systematically air the place of keeping the bird;
- regularly clean and disinfect the house;
- to minimize the cost of buying young animals, leave a certain number of birds for posterity before slaughter;
- the day after the birth of the chicks for a general strengthening give a weak solution of potassium permanganate;
- during the first 2 months of life, it is recommended to give drugs for immunity.