Breeding rabbits as a business: profitability of ideas, drawing up a business plan for beginners
Breeding rabbits can bring good income if you correctly draw up a business plan and raise animals in accordance with all the rules. Let's see how profitable it is to start a business in this area and what is needed for this.
Is it profitable to breed rabbits
The rabbit breeding business has both advantages and disadvantages. Before you start your own business, you need to weigh the pros and cons.
- The advantages of this kind of business include:
- small initial financial investments;
- inexpensive keeping of animals;
- little competition in the market;
- earning first profit;
- prospects for big money;
- low taxation.
Cons of business
- Along with the advantages, such a business has several disadvantages, including:
- a number of sanitary and hygienic requirements;
- mandatory documentation of meat products;
- mortality of newborns rabbits.
The Basics of Successful Rabbit Breeding
The success of rabbit breeding depends on the right approach to business.The basis for doing business in this area consists of the following items:
- Decide on the breed you want to grow. Based on the objectives of the content, meat, meat-skin and decorative breeds are distinguished.
- Choose the methodology according to which you will grow, mate and care for rabbits.
- Prepare the area for the animals to live. These can be cages, aviaries, pens or specially built sheds.
- If the goal is breeding for meat, it is necessary to allocate a separate territory for slaughter, as well as equip a place for storage and purchase a freezer.
- Decide which food you will use. Rabbits can eat cereals, vegetables, fruits, but their diet can also consist of compound feeds.
- Document your business to engage in legal sales.
- When keeping steadily adhere to sanitary standards, rules of care and feeding.
- Perform regular veterinary examinations and vaccinate livestock according to the established schedule.
Important! If you do not have experience in rabbit breeding, try to buy animals from trusted sellers, because you can make a mistake in the breed or acquire an unhealthy individual.
Preparation and organization of cultivation
If you decide to engage in rabbit farming, the first step is to prepare and organize the cultivation. To do this, you need to choose the right breed, choose the type of home and equip it, as well as determine the food.
The most profitable rabbit products are:
- skin, down and skin;
- animals themselves for sale.
Did you know? Rabbits sweat through their feet (pads) and can die from heat stroke.
The most common option for hare-like dwellings are cages.
When breeding and waiting for offspring, it is necessary to acquire cells:
- common to young animals;
- single for males;
- for a female with newborn rabbits.
Important! Be sure to plant the baby rabbit with cubs from the male in order to avoid early and uncontrolled fertilization.
When choosing cells should be guided by the following factors:
- place of residence of pets (street, room);
- number of individuals;
- how much time you can spend on cell care.
Cells vary depending on living conditions, you can either make them yourself or buy a ready-made version:
- Stationary outdoor. Cells of this type are installed on the street in cases where there is no need to move them further. In anticipation of winter, owners should insulate the home and arrange for drinking water heating.
- Stationary indoor. Such cages are suitable for specially equipped rooms. An advantage, in comparison with the first option, is the absence of the need for insulation, however, the farmer should consider heating the room.
- Mobile outdoor. Their plus is mobility and the ability to rearrange in a more suitable place. To do this, the cage is equipped with wheels on one side, so that it can be lifted and transported.
- Sheds. These are compact and convenient cellular structures that consist of two or three tiers. Sheds are double-sided. This type consists of all the necessary types of cells (for young animals, males, females with offspring).
- According to Zolotukhin. The rabbit breeder N.I. Zolotukhin, known for his own methods of feeding and keeping rabbits, is the creator of his own cage design. It consists of two tiers that accommodate 3-5 rabbits. Sizes vary by breed. A feature of cells according to Zolotukhin is the slightly inclined floors of the lower tier (up to 6 cm). The feeders are removed to fill with food, while the door does not open. The design also provides the ability to install a removable mother liquor.
- According to Mikhailov. This type belongs to mini-farms and is suitable for experienced breeders. The design has three tiers of cells, is equipped with a terminal for excrement and gases, and feeding and watering is fully automated. Thus, rabbit care time is not daily and is several hours per week.
Did you know? Igor Mikhailov in the 70s of the twentieth century patented the method of breeding accelerated rabbits, which is called MIAKRO and stands for "Igor Mikhailov accelerated rabbit breeding."
For the healthy development and rapid growth of pets, they need to be provided with the necessary vitamins and minerals that enter the body through food.
In the diet of rabbits should be present:
- succulent feed (forbs, grass plants, vegetables, fruits, root crops, tops);
- roughage (hay, straw, grain mixtures, branches, bark);
- food of animal origin (fish and meat and bone meal, fish oil);
- compound feed (includes everything necessary for rabbits in the optimal ratio);
- vitamin premixes;
- mineral supplements.
The following devices must be in the cage:
- feeding trough;
- drinking bowl;
- tray for excrement and waste;
- a dark corner as a mother liquor.
Profitability and Revenue Calculation
Breeding rabbits can bring a good income and is considered a cost-effective affair. A female theoretically can become pregnant immediately after okroli, if you resort to the method of compacted reproduction. However, this can negatively affect her health. For this reason, most farmers prefer to mate after weaning the female from the cubs.On average, one female per year can produce offspring in the amount of 60 rabbits. Having 100 females, in 1 year you can get an offspring of 6 thousand individuals. Large breeds produce up to 5 kg of meat, but on average up to 2 kg can be obtained from one rabbit. As a result, 12 thousand kg of meat will come out of 6 thousand rabbits, which will bring an income of 2.5 million rubles a year. Monthly profit will be about 200 thousand rubles.Additional income can be obtained from the sale of skins and other rabbit breeding wastes. It is important to take into account the planned deaths, the cost of cages, feed, farm energy supply, payment of taxes and other nuances. All these items are prescribed in the business plan.
Drawing up a business plan with calculations for breeding rabbits at home
To draw up a business plan, you need to calculate the costs and income from the rabbit mini-farm.
Costs include the following points:
- Taxes. Initially, you need to document the farming. It is best to register IP (individual entrepreneurship) or peasant farms (peasant farming).Taxation will occur depending on the farm registration method chosen. You can also think about personal subsidiary plots - taxes are not provided for private household plots.
Recommended to find out
- Material and technical base. These include the area under the farm, the purchase of cages, the equipment of the slaughter area and storage for meat, the premises for the feed workshop and the dunghill.
- Stern. Rabbits must be provided with all types of feed. The price varies depending on whether the grass and vegetables are grown on the farm or bought.
- Rabbits.The price of the animals themselves depends on the breed and quantity.
For implementation choose:
- the shops;
- own customer base.
|Carcass price||900 rub|
|Profit from the carcass||676 rub|
|Interest rate per carcass||75,12%|
|Carcass cost||224 rub|
|Annual turnover||864 thousand rubles|
|Monthly turnover||72 thousand rubles|
|Annual profit||649,024 RUB|
|Monthly profit||54 085 rub.|
Additional sources of income
In addition to the main ones, there are several specific types of products that will bring income to the breeder:
- body parts for souvenirs;
- internal organs for fertilizer;
- residues of fur and leather for the production of small items;
- males to cover females from other breeders.
Useful Tips for Beginners
It is useful for beginner rabbit farmers to study the recommendations of experienced breeders.Professionals advise you to follow these instructions:
- On the street, pens should be with awnings.
- Make wooden slatted floors in the cages, wrapping them with a metal profile.
- It is better to choose a design that allows you to feed and pour water into the drinkers without opening the door.
- Hay rabbits need to be fed year-round.
- Protein in the diet should be 14–20%. Average indicators (16%) contains compound feed.
- Be sure to vaccinate rabbits.
- For the purity of meat, animals need to be fed hay, root crops and vegetables.
- After the rounding, the female with the offspring needs to pay much attention.
Network user reviews
Rabbits are not only valuable fur; it’s a good thing, they breed like rabbits, about 8 years ago my friend started, it went awry at first, and then he met it, so it turned out, the epidemic went on and all the rabbits died, they turn out to die too quickly. But it's just for information that we would not forget about the difficulties, but with the right scientific approach and a share of luck, the business is profitable. I wish you all good luck and the road will overcome the road
For me, this is a source of meat for family and relatives. And plus an interesting hobby. If I saw rabbits as income, I would go broke long ago. If everywhere for a little bit then there will be no sense. My rabbits only pay for their content and that is not always the case. If you calculate the sum of the costs of building a barn and the cells where they are kept, then they are one big expense.To earn normal money on rabbit meat, volumes of an industrial rabbit farm with an initial investment of about $ 1 million are needed. And only with proper management from this farm you can make a profit. But if I had such money in my hands, then the rabbits were definitely not on this list.