Iodine for rabbits: instructions for use for treatment and prevention, dosage and proportions
Rabbits by nature are very vulnerable animals, so they definitely need to add various means to their diet that will help strengthen their immunity. In this article, we will consider how and why to add iodine to eared sissies.
Why do I need to drink rabbit with iodine
Experienced rabbit breeders do not wonder if animals need to be diluted with iodine (I or Iodum). Add iodine to the diet of rabbits is necessary in order to protect these fragile creatures from infections and just strengthen the immune system. Despite the fact that iodine is a rather aggressive substance, with proper dosage and proportions with water, this concentrate will greatly benefit furry pets.It is worth noting that animals can also get iodine from food, but in most products it is found in an unprocessed, natural form. Such a substance is called amyloiodin, or blue Iodum, and can cause serious allergic reactions.
Important! In order for rabbits not to abandon the healing mixture, it is necessary to remove ordinary water from the cage.
- Drinking rabbits with iodine concentrate brings the following benefits:
- strengthens the immune system;
- great for the prevention of coccidiosis;
- accelerates metabolism;
- creates an unfavorable environment for harmful microorganisms;
- improves and strengthens digestion.
- However, Iodum has some dangerous points:
- rabbits are reluctant to drink such a solution;
- an overdose of I can lead to disastrous consequences;
- not at any age is useful to apply this folk method.
Instructions for use
As mentioned above, Iodum is a very aggressive chemical element, therefore, compliance with the instructions for use in this matter is an extremely important aspect. The slightest violation of proportions can lead to severe stress on the cardiovascular system, which will entail serious consequences.
How to dilute iodine
The dosage of this chemical solution for the treatment of diseases and for prevention has its own characteristics (depending on the condition, you must choose how much iodine to solder your pets):
- prevention: the proportion is 1 mg of 10% or 2 mg of 5% Iodum solution per liter of water;
- for the treatment of emerging diseases, it is necessary to increase the portion by 2 times.
How to solder rabbits
In order for the chemical solution to have the most positive effect, it is necessary to follow the following recommendations:
- How to give it to pregnant females: from the 25-30th day of pregnancy to the 3-5th day of feeding the babies, it is necessary to give Mom a preventive solution I instead of drinking water (about 0.1 l per day).
- After this, you must stop feeding the nursing rabbit for 5 days.
- After the specified pause, it is necessary to continue to replace the water, but already with a therapeutic solution and increase the portion to 200 ml per day.
How much and how to feed rabbits depends on the age of the offspring.
Did you know? Iodum translated from Greek means "purple."
Features of soldering rabbits
For preventive purposes, rabbits are sure to add this chemical mixture to the daily diet. This is done immediately before the babies are planted from the rabbit-mother.
A couple of days before the eared offspring enters adulthood, they need to add a preventive solution of 50 ml per day per animal. After 2 weeks after weaning and up to 2 months of age, the children are replaced with water at a therapeutic dosage of Iodum 60–70 ml per day .
If coccidiosis (infection with protozoa) is found in babies, then, regardless of the prophylactic binge, another therapeutic portion is also added to the diet (another 60–70 ml per day).
So, despite the fact that the considered chemical element is rather dangerous to take inside, the non-concentrated mixtures from it will bring great benefits to the rabbit population. Moreover, veterinarians note that in a large number of cases I simply saved sick pets.